In 1953 the Cercle Culturel Français, founded in 1950, was affiliated to the Alliance Française under the name of l'Alliance Française de l'Etat Libre d'Orange. The teaching of French from here-on was the main focus of the Alliance. The name of our Alliance was changed to Alliance Française de Bloemfontein in 1995. The Alliance is housed in the ‘community room’ on the groundfloor of West End flats, cnr of Henry Street and First Avenue.
In June 2013 we celebrated our 60th anniversary with a dinner attended by the French Ambassador, Mme Elizabeth Barbier.